Papercrete production can be done in 5 steps:
• Soak newspaper in water overnight to soften the fibres and make mixing easier. (weight the newspaper dry)
• Mix the soaked paper until it becomes a homogeneous pulp.
• Add Portland cement, sand and water. (proportions can differ)
• Blend into a concrete mixer or similar machine (Papercrete Tow-Mixer) the ingredients until the mix becomes a thick consistent pulp.
• Pour mix into forms (wooden or metal) to create blocks of any size and shape. Allow the mixture to sit in forms until set
• Once dry you can remove the forms (after 3-4 days in a wet climate)• After 28 days the blocks take their final dimensions and can be used in construction.
The process is easy but requires accurate measurements. It is important to weight the newspapers before soaking them because after it will be difficult afterwards.